Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Week of Thanksgiving - Tuesday

Tonight we are attending our final class of Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey. Our church has held this class annualy for a few years, and there are several testimonies of financial freedom in our congregation, including our pastor's family who has paid off all their debt and is now working on their house. While we're still new at this, and trying to get the principles under our belt, we can see that it can work. We are now putting $100 into an emergency fund every month and planning to start paying a nice chunk over and above our normal car payment to get it paid off in only a few months. Then, we will take that money, (including the normal car payment,) and chunk that into another debt, then another. I can see how this can work, provided we have no devastating emergencies in the next few years.

So, today I'm thankful that God lead us to this church when we were shopping around several months ago. Besides the awesome pastor who teaches Biblical principles, and the congregation, from whom I've made some friends, I believe God lead us here for the financial lesson we needed to learn. Neither of us are spring chickens -- lol! So retirement is looming off the horizon. I'd like to see that dark cloud out there turn into a rainbow, a place we needn't fear. As much as I love WalMart, I really don't want to become a greeter in my senior years.

I'll try to blog our financial journey in the future. Perhaps it will encourage others.

1 comment:

Jan Parrish said...

I hear you Kathy. We are doing the same thing here.

Stop over my blog to see video of my grand baby!