Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Right Brain/Left Brain – Another Test

Thanks to author Angela Hunt, who posted this on her blog. I’ve just taken the Creativity Test to find out if I’m more Right Brained or Left Brained. I usually split close to the middle on these tests, and this was no exception. Today, the right brain is higher, which is no surprise because I’m having a hard time concentrating on organizing my office. My right brain wants to play, so it keeps squelching my left brain from being productive.

Here is my result:

Thank you for taking the Creativity Test. The results show your brain dominance as being:

Left Brain 45%
Right Brain 55%

You are more right-brained than left-brained. The right side of your brain controls the left side of your body. In addition to being known as right-brained, you are also known as a creative thinker who uses feeling and intuition to gather information. You retain this information through the use of images and patterns. You are able to visualize the "whole" picture first, and then work backwards to put the pieces together to create the "whole" picture. Your thought process can appear quite illogical and meandering. The problem-solving techniques that you use involve free association, which is often very innovative and creative. The routes taken to arrive at your conclusions are completely opposite to what a left-brained person would be accustomed. You probably find it easy to express yourself using art, dance, or music. Some occupations usually held by a right-brained person are forest ranger, athlete, beautician, actor/actress, craftsman, and artist.

It goes on to say that my predominant percentage on the left is “linear” at 48%. This is what they say about this:

Linear Processing

. . . In this process, the left brain takes pieces of information, lines them up, and proceeds to arrange them into an order from which it may draw a conclusion. The information is processed from parts to a whole in a straight, forward, and logical progression.

Your Linear Analysis

When processing information using this method, you will occasionally feel the need to see the "whole picture" before you are able to achieve results. At other times, you are able to piece all of the parts together in a straight and logical progression to form a whole, which then enables you to understand what you have processing. The information, your mood, and your level of comfortable are all factors that determine your response to a linear processing problem.

My Right Brain predominant percentage is “fantasy oriented.” Big surprise! Not! All my life I’ve been accused of living in my own little world.

Fantasy-oriented Processing

Fantasy-oriented processing is used by the right hemisphere as a method for processing information with creativity. It focuses much less on rules and regulations than the processing method of a left-brained person. Due to the fantasy-oriented processing mechanism of a right-brained person, they do not adjust well to change. Instead of adapting to the change in the environment, a right-brained person attempts to change it back to the way they liked it. But fantasy-oriented processing also provides the advantage of creativity to right-brained individuals, and since emotion is integral of the right side of the brain, anything a fantasy-oriented person becomes involved in emotionally will aid their ability to learn.

Your Fantasy-oriented Analysis

You have the ability to use both creativity and reality to process the information you receive. This is a unique gift that allows you to both focus on rules and regulations but to also act with creativity. You are able to adjusting to change, even though you might not like it, and you can become emotionally involved in your work if it interests you.

This test pleases me as a writer. I need the extra right brain boost to create my stories, but I need the left brain organization to keep me on task.

So, what’s my problem today? Could it be that the day is gorgeous and I’m in here trying to organize my office and taking silly tests?

To take this test, please go to Angela Hunt’s blog and use the link there.

 

No comments: